At Tego Insurance, we specialise in medical indemnity insurance in Australia. It is common for an employed doctor in a public hospital to be covered by their employer for claims arising from alleged omissions or acts. But many employed health practitioners also obtain their own indemnity cover for issues that arise that fall outside the hospital’s cover.
The Benefits of Having Your Own Medical Indemnity Insurance
There are real benefits of having your own cover. Let’s look at a few of the reasons:
- Low cost and high value – in itself, low cost isn’t a reason but when you look at the big picture getting appropriate protection for your career seems like common sense. For many health professionals, most of their lifetime income will come from their employment, so the best investments you can make are in yourself.
- Your hospital may limit the individual support it provides – in rare circumstances hospitals find themselves in situations where their responsibilities to patients and the overarching interests of the hospital as a whole affect their ability to best protect the interests of individual employees.
- Assistance with requests for information or coroner’s reports – some hospitals do not provide assistance with coroner’s reports or medical board matters. If the Coroner requests a report from you, you can contact Tego for assistance. If you become a person of interest to the Coroner’s court, then you may also require legal assistance to protect your interests. In such situations, Tego Insurance can provide that legal assistance.
- Cover for healthcare outside Australia – over under Tego Insurance policies can be extended to treatment of patients outside of Australia up to a maximum of 120 days per year (excluding US territories).
- student elective placement under appropriate supervision
- employer indemnified placement (eg employee in a hospital)
- healthcare services in a developing country
- accompanying an Australian cultural and sporting group
Tego Insurance Providers are Experts at Providing Medical Indemnity Insurance
If you have any questions about purchasing a medical indemnity insurance policy, let us help you. We can go over with you the medical indemnity insurance costs and other important issues. Tego Insurance is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire Hathaway is a brand globally known for integrity and trustworthiness. We offer medical indemnity insurance, doctors indemnity insurance , medical professional indemnity insurance, gp medical indemnity insurance, medical malpractice insurance and more. We are proud of our profound understanding of the Australian medical profession and the ever-changing healthcare industry.
With the laws changing, you need to protect not only your patients rights and wellbeing, but also your business and livelihood. Tego Insurance are experts at providing insurance coverage with more options, innovation and greater flexibility. Contact us to find out more.
This publication is general in nature and is not comprehensive or constitute legal or medical advice. You should seek legal, medical or other professional advice before relying on any content, and practice proper clinical decision making with regard to individual circumstances. Persons implementing any recommendations contained in this publication must exercise their own independent skill or judgment or seek appropriate professional advice relevant to their own particular practice. Compliance with any recommendations will not in any way guarantee discharge of the duty of care owed to patients and others coming into contact with the health professional or practice. Tego Insurance Pty Ltd is not responsible to you or anyone else for any loss suffered in connection with the use of this information.
Eric is the CEO of Tego, an insurance agency offering specialist indemnity insurance solutions for the healthcare and life sciences sectors. His qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in business and law, a master’s degree from UNSW in law and management and an MBA from the AGSM.