As we spoke about in part one of our series- Terminating a Doctor/ Patient Relationship 1, Medical and Healthcare professionals truly face distinctive risks. Doctors depend on their Medical Indemnity Insurance, to protect them and keep their practice safe.
In Part 1, we explained the issues that arise when deciding to terminate a client. Part 2 is about what to do after you have made your decision. Here are the most important steps to take when moving forward and to protect yourself against Medical Malpractice claims.
- Document non compliance. Don’t defend your termination based on your memory. All events of non compliance be recorded at the time that you become aware of that non compliance
- Do not delegate to staff. The only way to be certain that termination is done correctly is for you to do it.
- Write a letter to the patient setting out your decision. Your letter should use language that reflects concern about the patient’s welfare.
- Be careful about referral. As a general rule of thumb, it is always best to refer the patient to an appropriate medical professional.
Your letter should include at least the following:
- The effective date of termination
- Reason for ending the relationship
- Suggestions for continued care through local medic groups, nearby hospitals, or community resources
- Offer to provide a copy of the medical record by enclosing an authorisation document with your letter to be returned to the office with the patient’s signature
- Remind the patient that follow-up and continued medical care is now the patient’s responsibility and that both should be pursued
Medical Practice Insurance in Australia
Terminating the doctor-patient relationship can be a difficult process. We are here to help and protect you during this process. Medical Practice Insurance in Australia is a complex area of insurance requiring the skill and expertise of an experienced Medical Indemnity Insurer.
Tego is a provider of medical indemnity insurance for doctors in Australia. Medical Indemnity insurance is a critical component of a strong career. When things go wrong, you need to ensure that you have the best doctors medical indemnity insurance in place. It’s important that you obtain a medical indemnity insurance quote to enable you to compare cover across the different medical indemnity insurers. Contact Tego today to find out the cost of medical indemnity insurance.
Information provided on this page is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs.