As a leading and trusted Medical Indemnity Insurer, we are here to protect you, your medical practice and business.
Assessment of a patient’s suitability must be carried out by the doctor based on patient’s individual circumstances. Medical Indemnity Insurers regularly assist practitioners on issues that arise as a result of patient selection.
Here are some questions to help you decide on whether to choose a patient or not. Specifically, the questions are meant to assist you in identifying elements that we regularly see as having an impact on the suitability of a patient.
Patient’s behaviour – consider personality traits:
- Are they listening and asking questions?
- Are they in a hurry? Are they insisting on multiple procedures against your advice?
- Do they come across as aggressive or insistent to you or your staff?
Medical examination and assessment:
- Has the patient been to see a GP?
- Are there any medical problems that may preclude them from surgery or indicate that they may need special attention?
- Should you refer them to a GP for assessment prior to agreeing to perform any procedures or start any treatment?
- Has the patient come alone? Do they have family/ partner support?
- If they are accompanied, are they being pushed or under duress?
- Is the partner doing all the talking?
- Do they complain about previous surgical outcomes? Or doctors? Or both?
Medical Indemnity Insurers
Medical indemnity insurers such as Tego provide specialised medical indemnity insurance for doctors in Australia. The insurance includes additional support services, such as a 24/7 direct line to highly experienced medical lawyers for doctors needing advice regarding their legal obligations and potential liabilities in any given situation.
Choosing a patient is not always an easy task. But is a very important one in terms of protecting your medical practice. As one of Australia’s leading Medical Indemnity Insurers, we are here to help. Medical Practice Insurance in Australia is one of the most complex areas of general insurance and is often the most misunderstood. Contact a Medical Practice Insurance advisor to find out more.
Tego is a provider of medical indemnity insurance for doctors in Australia. Medical Indemnity insurance is a critical component of a strong career. When things go wrong, you need to ensure that you have the best doctors medical indemnity insurance in place. It’s important that you obtain a medical indemnity insurance quote to enable you to compare cover across the different medical indemnity insurers. Contact Tego today to find out the cost of medical indemnity insurance.