Tego Insurance is here to help! As a medical indemnity insurance provider, we understand many medical professionals work in isolated settings. Doctors can especially feel professionally and personally isolated in their work environment. Their solitude often comes from not having easy access to peer or collegiate support.
The Risks of Isolation
Below are some areas of vulnerability:
- Isolation can give rise to physical and mental stress.
- Medical professionals feeling alone and overloaded can fail to recognise signs and symptoms of self impairment and burnout.
- We all need to be proactive in managing our health and wellbeing
A few tips for medical professionals
- Look for opportunities to meet to discuss practice and professional issues with your peers. Having professional networks in place can have personal and professional benefits and can assist with:
- Arranging leave and locums
- Receiving advice and support from colleagues
- Schedule regular personal time, holidays and leave for continuing professional development (CPD)
- Plan ahead by connecting with a locum service to arrange cover for when you will be away from your practice and have strategies in place for alternative care arrangements for women under your care
- Structure and complete your CPD by participating in interactive sessions wherever possible (even if via teleconference or over the internet) rather than through self-directed activities
- Regularly attend regional, college and special interest group meetings that foster peer support
- Find a peer network with regular meetings, online or in person, to discuss your practices
Tego Insurance experts are not just insurance professionals, we are also medical healthcare advocates looking out for the safety and wellbeing of our medical practitioners. Here are a few more personal tips:
- Respect your private time and have a strategy for triaging calls on your time – don’t be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Unless very urgent and there is no other option available, don’t give advice or treatment outside the professional setting. Set personal and professional limits by insisting on formal consultations,
- Find a GP to manage your health and the health of your family.
- Avoid giving professional advice or treatment to close friends and your immediate colleagues where there is someone else you can refer them to.
- Recognise your need for help and moral support.
- Be aware that isolation can lead to a greater risk of burnout.
The Tego team cares. If you would like specific advice about your circumstances, please contact us! Tego Insurance offers medical indemnity insurance for medical practitioners underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway, a brand globally synonymous with trust and integrity. We have a profound understanding of the Australian medical profession and the ever-changing healthcare industry. It’s this expertise that allows us to provide leading cover with more choice, innovation and greater flexibility.
Tego Insurance is a provider of medical indemnity insurance for doctors in Australia. Medical Indemnity insurance is a critical component of a strong career. When things go wrong, you need to ensure that you have the best doctors medical indemnity insurance in place. It’s important that you obtain a medical indemnity insurance quote to enable you to compare cover across the different medical indemnity insurers. Contact Tego today to find out the cost of medical indemnity insurance.
This publication is general in nature and is not comprehensive or constitute legal or medical advice. You should seek legal, medical or other professional advice before relying on any content, and practice proper clinical decision making with regard to individual circumstances. Persons implementing any recommendations contained in this publication must exercise their own independent skill or judgment or seek appropriate professional advice relevant to their own particular practice. Compliance with any recommendations will not in any way guarantee discharge of the duty of care owed to patients and others coming into contact with the health professional or practice. Tego Insurance Pty Ltd is not responsible to you or anyone else for any loss suffered in connection with the use of this information.
Eric is the CEO of Tego, an insurance agency offering specialist indemnity insurance solutions for the healthcare and life sciences sectors. His qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in business and law, a master’s degree from UNSW in law and management and an MBA from the AGSM.